Thursday 21 September 2017

Number Sense learning goals

This September we will be looking at the following Number Sense and Numeration expectations in our math class:
  • I can count forward (by 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, 100) and backwards (by 2, 5, 10, 100) using a variety of tools
  • I can represent, compare, and order numbers up to 1000
  • I can read and write whole numbers
  • I can identify and represent the value of a digit according to its position in the number (3 in 324 is 3 hundreds)
  • I can compose and decompose 3-digit numbers into hundreds, tens, and ones using concrete materials
  • I can round 2-digit numbers to the nearest ten
  • I can represent and explain the relationship among the numbers 1, 10, 100, 1000
Try to help your child consolidate this learning at home by having them skip count while waiting for the light to change in the car, while waiting for their sibling to get dressed, and while waiting for commercials to be over. When shopping and looking at prices, ask your child to round the dollar amounts to the nearest 10. When a number comes up in a book, on the tv, or in an address, ask them to tell you which digit is in the 100's column, or 10's column, or 1's column and what it's value is.

No comments:

Post a Comment